Fallon’s Birth Story, Redemptive all natural VBAC


the blog

by sarah elrod



Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Youtube


On March 20th 2024, our sweet daughter was born. This is Fallon’s birth story.


Fallon’s birth plan


Before hearing about Fallon’s birth story, I think it’s important for you to know about my first birth story with my son. You can find the full post here, but here’s the quick rundown…

Stetson was in an odd position for birth. Essentially his neck was bent back so he would come out face first instead of head first, if that makes sense. They told me if it has been my first birth, that they would try for natural, but ultimately recommended that I have a C section. I was pretty go with the flow, and did not have too many opinions at that point in time. So I smile and nodded to whatever the doctor said.

A C-section was not what I wanted but I was naive and didn’t know what I was doing. My birth experience with my son was in no way traumatic, but I do wish I advocated for a natural birth a little harder. So I knew this time around, I was going to do everything I could, to get that VBAC.

My plan was pretty simple. Go as long as I could without an epidural. And push out that baby the old fashion way.


My 40 Week Appointment


The day prior to Fallon’s birth, March 19th, I left my 40 week OBGYN appointment feeling discouraged because my due date (March 18th) had passed. I knew there was still time but I was getting more and more worried that I was ultimately going to end up needing to be induced. Plus when you are that pregnant you are ready for that baby to come at any time!




In the early morning hours of March 20th, I woke up at approximately 2:30am with contractions I couldn’t sleep through. I started timing them and realized they were pretty consistently 10 mins a part. Somewhat nervous that I was going to have to wake everyone up (silly I know) I waited it out until 5am when my husband woke up for work. No major changes happened so we called my Doulas to see what their thoughts were. Ultimately it was decided that in a few hours we would go to the hospital to have me checked. So we called our parents and everyone started to make their way to our house. At around 11am, my husband, Tyler, and I left for the hospital.


Our time in Triage


We met with my doulas at the hospital and headed to the labor and delivery wing. Once we got into triage I was told that I was only 3cm along but I was considered to be in active labor. We stayed in the triage room for several hours, bouncing on a birthing ball, walking around, etc. hoping to move things along. By 2pm I was still only at about 3cm, and had a decision to make. Either go home and wait it out, or get started on a small dose of Pitocin. I decided on the 2nd option in hopes it would kick start something in my body. Once the decision was made and paperwork was signed, they began the process of admitting me.


The work begins


Once I was officially admitted, the hard work began. For several hours we did a lot of talking, walking, and more bouncing. I was talking through my contractions easily and thought labor was going to be a breeze. To clarify: I didn’t labor very long with my son so I never experienced anything much worse than this point.

But of course as time went on, it became more and more challenging to talk through contractions. My attention was being drawn to them and I was starting to really think about my breathing.

Around 8pm, I was starting to make “audible noises” as my husband described. The doctor came in and checked me and I believe I was about 5 or 6cm at this point. She said that she would be back at 10:30pm to break my water.


The hardest thing I have ever done


At 10:30pm the doctor came in and broke my water. I was 8cm dilated. And almost immediately, the contractions became so much stronger. I was exhausted and hurting a lot. The only thing that kept me going was knowing I would see her soon, and my husband encouraging me as he sat and held my hand.

The doctor left the room and I contemplated so many times asking for an epidural but I never did. Nurses started coming in and prepping the room for delivery. At this point I was no longer able to talk at all, which was a challenge because I felt the transition shift in my body and knew I was starting to push. Honestly, I had no control over it. It was like a reflex and all I could hope was that someone knew it was happening and was going to catch the baby. I let out 2 or 3 full on screams as my body was literally regurgitating out this baby. And after only 2 minutes of pushing, there she was. The most perfect angel I ever laid my eyes on.


Successful VBAC


The laid my sweet girl on my chest and I was sobbing. I couldn’t believe what I had just done. My VBAC was a success thanks to the Grace of God, my supportive husband, and my amazing doulas. Our miracle girl, Fallon Jane was born at 11:15pm. Weighting 6 pounds, 12 ounces. And 19.5 inches long.

Having an unmedicated, natural birth was the hardest thing I ever had to do. But I would do it again and again. And for anyone who might be reading this hoping for their chances at a VBAC, I want to first say that your C-section birth was not a mistake and it’s not anything to be less proud of. Birth is birth no matter how that baby got here. But if you do want to try for a VBAC I highly recommend getting a doula you trust. They were worth every penny!


Recovery from Fallon’s birth


This time around recovery has been so different! In the best way! When you have an unmedicated natural birth, the hospital leaves you alone a lot more. Meaning they are not checking on you every hour over night like they did when I had a c section.

After getting home things were so different too. For one, I had my toddler to chase around so getting a ton of rest isn’t totally an option. Though we did have help, I was really jumping right back into reality almost immediately. But it felt good to do so! I wasn’t physically limited like I was after my c section. I didn’t have a wound to care for and I was able to drive right away.

Going from 1 to 2 kids also didn’t seem that hard to me. She has been the perfect addition to our family. And while I am still trying to figure out a new routine for our days, it’s all just felt really natural to me and I am so grateful for that.


Resources & Links



I'm Sarah Elrod

The Podcast

Rural Lifestyle



I'm a Cowgirl turned serial entrepreneur.
I'm a horse trainer, western wedding photographer, business coach and ranch wife.
I help women in the western industry grow thriving businesses from rural America.
When I am not strategizing new marketing tactics, you will find me riding my horses, cuddling my cattle dog, or kissing my hot husband.
There is also a good chance I am buying way too many outfits from western boutiques.

Branded Cowgirl podcast

get updates on the things you care about most


join the newsletter

a business & lifestyle podcast for western & rural women

- Top Categories -

Anything you need from stylish everyday clothing, or moms night out, or new Maternity jeans... PinkBlush has you covered!

Get 25% off your next purchase when you click here!

Pink Blush






some of my
favorite things!

Flodesk is an email marketing GAME CHANGER. Now you can send emails to your people without feeling salesy, annoying or just flat out confused. 

Flodesk has helped me grow my list and make more $$

Click here to save 50% on your first year!

HoneyBook is my all in one client management solution. It makes sending emails and contracts a breeze!

Save on your first year when you click here!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *