As I am writing this post, I am about 3.5 months away from saying “I do” to the love of my life. Which is surreal and crazy. I don’t feel like any of this is real even still. Planning a wedding has been such an interesting experience for me. A lot of people assumed I would be really good at it considering I am a wedding photographer but I sure do love to prove people wrong because I am the absolute worst at this.
Helping someone else, like my wedding clients with their days feels so different. I am way more organized and on top of everything. But with my own wedding, for some reason it’s been a struggle.
I think a huge part of it is because I felt like I had so much time but now we are in crunch time. And the stress is setting in.
I decided to write this post for anyone who is curious but also for any Brides to be out there who want to learn from my mistakes and my successes, so I am going to list them all out for you below!
Grab a cocktail and enjoy. You deserve it!
The Things I Did Wrong
- Waiting until the last minute to think about the small details (not saying this needs to be the first thing you do but I wish I broke it up and tackled a few small things each month)
- Couldn’t make decisions. I am the WORST decision maker on the planet. And with my wedding that has held me back a lot.
- Listened too much to other people’s opinions. AKA tried to be a people pleaser. When you get engaged, suddenly you realize how opinionated everyone is. And no one agrees on anything. I regret trying to cater to everyone instead of just doing what I want.
The Things I Did Right
- Not second guessing myself. Once I did make a decision, I was really good about not going back and thinking “what if” this was a huge concern of mine when choosing my wedding dress
- Enjoyed being engaged. I didn’t want wedding planning to fully consume the fact that I was going to be spending the next year (and the only year of my life) with a Fiancé. I soaked in every minute and chance I could to call him that
- Had a longer engagement. Maybe a year isn’t that long to some, but considering that some people get married in 6 months, it felt like the perfect amount of time to get everything done
There are honestly way more, but those are some of the top thing that come to mind when I think back on the past 8 months of planning so far. I am so excited to finally get to celebrate, have bridal showers, and bachelor parties and of course, finally get to walk down the aisle and become Mrs. Elrod!
I'm Sarah Elrod
I'm a Cowgirl turned serial entrepreneur.
I'm a horse trainer, western wedding photographer, business coach and ranch wife.
I help women in the western industry grow thriving businesses from rural America.
When I am not strategizing new marketing tactics, you will find me riding my horses, cuddling my cattle dog, or kissing my hot husband.
There is also a good chance I am buying way too many outfits from western boutiques.
Branded Cowgirl podcast
get updates on the things you care about most
TUNE IN NOW
a business & lifestyle podcast for western & rural women
join the newsletter!
- Top Categories -
Western Fashion is kinda my jam and I can always count of Farm Girl Boutique to give me the latest trends and the cutest home decor!
Get 10% off your next purchase when you click here!
Farm Girl Boutique
some of my
Flodesk is an email marketing GAME CHANGER. Now you can send emails to your people without feeling salesy, annoying or just flat out confused.
Flodesk has helped me grow my list and make more $$
Click here to save 50% on your first year!
HoneyBook is my all in one client management solution. It makes sending emails and contracts a breeze!
Save on your first year when you click here!