A fun fact about me is that every single morning for the entirety of our marriage, I have gotten up with my husband Tyler at 5am to make him breakfast and lunch before he heads off to work. The breakfast has always stayed pretty consistently the same. A toasted bagel sandwich with egg, pepper and hot sauce. Simple and effective. And recently we have been trying to make more conscious choices about our food and what we eat. Plus we want to save a little bit on our grocery bill. So I have started making homemade bagels from scratch. And I am kinda in love with the process now.
At first it feels tedious, and I think it took me 5 hours in the kitchen to get it done, but after a few trial and errors, I am so excited about the results. It has become a Sunday ritual for me to spend my afternoons after church in the kitchen whipping these bad boys up and now I want to share this recipe with you!
- 2 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/5 tablespoons yeast
- 5 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Everything bagel seasoning
- Mix water, sugar, and yeast together in bowl, let sit for 10 minutes
- Add yeast mixture to a bowl with with flour and salt
- Mix until you have a shaggy dough
- Separate dough into 2 chunks
- Knead each dough chunk for 10 minutes
- Add jalapeños, cheese, seasonings, etc. to dough
- Knead the dough a bit more
- Cut the dough into 6 pieces/chunks, roll them into dough balls
- Let rest for 15 minutes, then add holes to the dough balls
- Let rest for 30 minutes, and preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Boil a pot of water and boil each bagel for 1-2 minutes per side
- Set the bagels on a lined baking sheet
- Cover each bagel in an egg wash
- Decorate the tops of the bagels
- Put them in the oven for 25-30 minutes
- Transfer to cooling rack
Join my favorite meal plan subscription and get all your meals planned out for you each week! Also, after you sign up, you can get a free week when you email Kenzie (firstname.lastname@example.org) and tell her I sent you!
Use subject line: Hayfield Meals – Elrod
I'm Sarah Elrod
I'm a Cowgirl turned serial entrepreneur.
I'm a horse trainer, western wedding photographer, business coach and ranch wife.
I help women in the western industry grow thriving businesses from rural America.
When I am not strategizing new marketing tactics, you will find me riding my horses, cuddling my cattle dog, or kissing my hot husband.
There is also a good chance I am buying way too many outfits from western boutiques.
Branded Cowgirl podcast
get updates on the things you care about most
TUNE IN NOW
join the newsletter
a business & lifestyle podcast for western & rural women
- Top Categories -
Anything you need from stylish everyday clothing, or moms night out, or new Maternity jeans... PinkBlush has you covered!
Get 25% off your next purchase when you click here!
some of my
Flodesk is an email marketing GAME CHANGER. Now you can send emails to your people without feeling salesy, annoying or just flat out confused.
Flodesk has helped me grow my list and make more $$
Click here to save 50% on your first year!
HoneyBook is my all in one client management solution. It makes sending emails and contracts a breeze!
Save on your first year when you click here!